Ex-KLAs in "written attack" on reporter
|19 January 2011 | 12:57 | Source: B92|
|VIENNA -- The Southeast Europe Media Organization (SEEMO) has condemned a written attack by an association of former KLA memebrs against journalist Halil Matoshi.|
Matoshi is a columnist for the daily Koha Ditore, the network of editors, media executives and leading journalists from South East Europe said in a statement on Tuesday.
The statement explained that the newspaper published an article earlier this month, where Matoshi wrote about the challenges facing Kosovo in 2011.
"Matoshi reportedly stated that certain people wanted a form of 'patriotic anarchy' in which they could claim the right to distinguish between good and bad patriots," notes SEEMO.
This was followed on January 7 by a press release of the association which portrayed the journalist as a traitor, and describing him as "one of the pieces of trash the occupiers have left us".
"We are alarmed by the written attack on journalist Matoshi", said Oliver Vujović, SEEMO Secretary General. "Attacks against journalists, including those seeking to portray them as traitors, are unacceptable and must be strongly condemned."
"Freedom of the press is a cornerstone of democracy and any form of pressure directed at a journalist is worrying," he added.
SEEMO will continue to monitor the situation, and urges the authorities in Priština to thoroughly investigate this situation and to ensure Matoshi's safety, concluded the statement.